Friday, May 23, 2008

Grace at age 5; Maggie at age 9 months; Grandma Elaine Gibbons at age timeless beauty

Dear Maggie Elaine,

It's coming up on your great-grandmother's birthday here. As her namesake, there are probably a few things that we should share with you so that you might understand why we chose to give you such a lovely and important name.

First of all, and I realize I'm starting off on a superficial foot here, but your Grandma Gibbons is a great beauty. Now, I know that's kind of a hard thing to live up to; this is a case where your genes may play more of a part than your personal choices. She has always been a real knock-out but, even better, she has aged fabulously... and isn't it kind of nice to know that feature may be buried in your genetic makeup? Trust me, it is.

Secondly, your Grandma Gibbons has a great sense of humor. She is just so much fun to be around. Being able to find the funny can really get you through some hard times. And it makes the already good times even better! Grandma really knows how to do that.

Probably the most important thing about your Grandma Gibbons is her unfailing faith in Jesus Christ and her dedication to His church. As you grow, I will tell you about all the amazing journeys she has taken to spread the truth of the gospel and build His kingdom. My great hope is that she can tell you lots of these stories herself. Grandma Gibbons has shared her testimony with me many times, in person and in a small but treasured stack of letters she has written to me so far. I'll let you read them in a few years.

Well, darling Maggie (because that's how Grandma Gibbons would address you), I hope you know that I really love my grandmother. She's a wonderful woman and I'll be thinking about her on her birthday this year and hoping she's having an equally wonderful day.

Love,
Your mother Melissa

No comments: